Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
So if you click on a movie when you are on the Home Screen on any Apple TV model since 2015, non-4K or 4K, it takes you to this screen:
IMG_0697.jpg

Why has Apple not fixed this, since it adds an unnecessary step to get to the movie(s) you were looking at to possibly buy or rent, or to get to things you already own? They could and should just have it take you directly to the :apple:TV App, because when you click on either of the options that come up in the screenshot above, it takes you to the :apple:TV App. Is this just pure laziness on Apple's part or is it possible at all that they do not know this causes this issue (which I highly doubt since they tell you everything has moved to the :apple:TV App) or do they just not care?

I am leaning towards they do not care, since there have been several tvOS updates. If I recall correctly there has even been a major tvOS release, tvOS 17, where this should have been fixed, maybe even earlier. I cannot remember exactly when they switched over to everything going through the :apple:TV App.

Am I missing something? Is there a way around this?

Anyway, that is my vent for this morning, haha!

:apple:

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
This move only happened with tvOS 17.2, so they definitely couldn't have fixed it earlier. ;)

Okay, thank you! I could not remember when the change officially happened of the top of my head, however, they still have had updates (including yesterdays) where they could easily fix this so it just opens the :apple:TV App for whichever movie/tv show you are looking at buying or renting. For us tech savvy Apple users it is not really an issue, other than a stupid extra step (because I even forget, and click on the movie in the banner at the top of the Home Screen which takes you to the screen I posted above), but I could see non tech savvy Apple TV users being a bit confused by this, since sometimes even when you click on "Go to the Store" it does not take you directly to the movie/tv show you were checking out to begin with. So, some people might just give up.

Anyway, thanks again for letting me know when the official change took place. Have a great day, friend!

Last edited:

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
This is when you’re clicking on a movie in the movies app isn’t it? There’s nothing for Apple to fix as such. The app is no longer supported but was left on the homescreen with this prompt to let users know that they now need to use the Apple TV app instead of the movies app. At some point the Movies and TV Shows apps will be removed but this is how they’re supposed to work until then.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
This is when you’re clicking on a movie in the movies app isn’t it? There’s nothing for Apple to fix as such. The app is no longer supported but was left on the homescreen with this prompt to let users know that they now need to use the Apple TV app instead of the movies app. At some point the Movies and TV Shows apps will be removed but this is how they’re supposed to work until then.

It is when you are clicking on a movie at the top of the screen, so yes, the movie app since you have to be on the movie icon for movies to show up on the top row, however, why not just have the movie open in the AppleTV app now? I know it only one added step, but still…pretty easy fix.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It is when you are clicking on a movie at the top of the screen, so yes, the movie app since you have to be on the movie icon for movies to show up on the top row, however, why not just have the movie open in the AppleTV app now? I know it only one added step, but still…pretty easy fix.

Wouldn’t the simple solution be to just remove the Movies app from the top shelf and move it out of the way.
Like it or not the iTunes apps are being discontinued, it’s only a matter of time before they’re removed completely which will most likely be with tvOS18

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany

I think i must be misunderstanding the issue. If you move the Apple TV app to the top row where you currently have the movies app, the movies will show in the top row too.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I think i must be misunderstanding the issue. If you move the Apple TV app to the top row where you currently have the movies app, the movies will show in the top row too.
No it doesn’t, you’ve either got What to Watch (which is a carousel of trailers) or Up Next depending on which option you’ve chosen.

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
No it doesn’t, you’ve either got What to Watch (which is a carousel of trailers) or Up Next depending on which option you’ve chosen.
Sorry,I get what you mean now and you’re right. I’ve just taken a look and I see it is very slightly different. In the top row the Movies app is showing me the last three movies I bought, exactly like the Apple TV app is, and after that it is showing me the top purchased movies which if I click on the Apple TV app it shows me if I select the store or right away if I was last in the store when I exited the app so essentially it’s one or two clicks more now than it used to be if you had the movies app at the top. I can’t see Apple considering that as being broken so I wouldn’t expect a “fix” for that anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.